84 Lumber, founded in 1956, is the nation’s leading privately held supplier of building materials, manufactured components and industry-leading services for single/multi-family residences and commercial buildings. 84 Lumber generates $8 billion in annual revenue through the operation of more than 250 stores, component manufacturing plants, custom door shops, custom millwork facilities and engineered wood product centers in 30 states, representing the top 130 markets in the country. A certified women’s business enterprise owned by Maggie Hardy Knox; 84 Lumber has consistently been named as one of Forbes Best Midsize Employers in America.
84 Lumber is seeking a Business/Financial Analyst who will partner with the sales and operations functions to deliver financial planning and analysis that will empower upper level management with the information needed to make strategic, operational, and tactical decisions. This is a hands-on role that is expected to serve as a strategic business partner to the organization’s leadership and business functions.
This is a unique opportunity to get involved in a variety of projects and initiatives that involve interaction with leaders and subject matter experts. The Business/Financial Analyst will tackle a dynamic array of issues often focusing on changes and adjustments to the underlying business. This is accomplished by bring quantitative/analytic support to decision-making so that fact based decisions can be made and projects can be appropriately managed and tracked in pursuit of company goals. There is a heavy focus on budgeting, forecasting, and analyzing trends while identifying possible challenges emerging in the business before they fully impact financial results.
The successful candidate will operate with a sense of urgency and possess the ability to work under tight deadlines with a high degree of accuracy and accountability. This position is fulfilling to a candidate who has strong analytical skills, system knowledge, data crunching ability, while thinking both strategically and tactically.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Work with business partners throughout the organization (e.g. Sales, Marketing, Operations, Finance and IT) to support company financial objectives and initiatives, including quantitative and qualitative analysis, business modeling, business cases, forecasting, budgeting, etc.
- Help drive planning, budgeting and forecasting activities to support the annual budgeting process.
- Act as a bridge to consolidate information across different functions, supporting the sales, operations and finance teams with Excel and PowerPoint templates to drive financial reporting processes, profitability models, economic models and trend analysis.
- Develop monthly and quarterly reporting packages for leadership team; identify key performance drivers and opportunities. Work closely with departmental senior management to understand variances and provide explanations to executive team.
- Develops flexible models to evaluate the financial impact of various new and existing business initiatives under a range of assumptions and scenarios.
- Collaborates on strategic initiatives. Works with key business partners to establish project objectives and create project plans to enable the successful and timely completion of cross-functional initiatives.
- Partner with the business teams to define additional requirements to enrich reporting capabilities. Continuously improve report content and scorecards to drive actions that leadership should take to positively improve the results.
- Monitors capital projects against defined objectives and development / validation of support financials.
- Performs financials analysis: Develops, maintains, and provides historical and prospective financial information and analyses. Involved in month-end close, forecasting, budgeting, and long-range planning.
- Monitor and optimize business processes: Identifies performance issues and makes recommendations to management for remedial actions. Constantly looking for ways to enhance or make business processes more efficient where needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related field requiring application of analytical techniques.
- 3+ years’ experience in working with large sets of data and performing complex modeling and quantitative analysis.
- Ability to develop and deliver concise oral, written, and visual presentations appropriate for diverse audiences.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to ask appropriate questions; to be able to explain results, identify critical business issues, and make recommendations.
- Digests complex information, sees trends and analysis through data, and can efficiently and effectively convey findings to others.
- Constantly challenge the status quo and look for better ways to report business relevant data while ensuring efficiencies and data integrity.
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving skills, ability to identify key business drivers and communicate complex issues/creative solutions.
- Detail oriented and timeline driven with an emphasis on accuracy and results.
- Ability to work either independently or with others, depending on the task.
- Expert level in Microsoft Excel including, but not limited to pivot tables, filtering, lookups, macros, VBA and dashboards.
- Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple tasks of varying complexity and priority.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to share complex, technical topics clearly, concisely, effectively and professionally.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively influence team members through consensus building and ability to get results through others.
- Expert level in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point).
- Ability to apply a practical, business focused perspective while evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of processes from an operational standpoint.
- Able to build effective relationships across businesses and functions within a complex organization.
84 Lumber Company is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.