We are looking for a tax and accounting expert to manage and facilitate the accurate preparation and filing of our company’s sales and use, property, real estate, and payroll tax. The ideal candidate is a team player who manages the tax team to greater performance, creates and implements tax plans and works with the accounting and leadership teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk. The Tax Manager will ensure compliance with state federal and local tax law through a series of systems and system controls that are designed to ensure accurate and timely reporting. They will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate updates to policies and strategies.
The successful candidate will operate with a sense of urgency and possess the ability to work under tight deadlines with a high degree of accuracy and accountability. This position is fulfilling to a candidate who is entrepreneurially inclined, has a passion for leading and developing teams, and is motivated to drive continuous improvement.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide continuous guidance and oversight to tax team members on various taxes including sales and use, property, real estate, payroll withholding, unemployment, etc.
- Manage timely delivery of all sales tax compliance functions. Review sale tax returns prepared by other members of the sales tax compliance team for accuracy and completeness. Ensure timely processing of payments.
- Oversee the management of the sales tax data from the billing system to ensure the proper tax is billed and collected for the monthly sales tax returns.
- Support the sales tax team in resolving external and internal sales tax inquiries as the team researches tax issues and communicates with the proper internal associates and taxing authorities.
- Coordinate sales and use tax audits with outside tax authorities with responsibility for resolving technical issues and defending tax positions on filed returns.
- Manage the various states’ exemption certificate management requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the systems and tools utilized to support accurate tax returns including providing the on-going maintenance required as a result of changes to tax legislation, regulations, company structure, etc.
- Support the external tax preparers in preparation of the federal and state income tax returns. Provide the necessary supporting documentation and act as a liaison for communicating the company’s tax position.
- Support the audit of federal and state income tax returns and ensure timely responses to tax notices and other correspondences.
- Manage the timeliness of annual reports and business license filings
- Provide support to the accounting department to reconcile tax related accounts and identify necessary accruals.
- Identify, develop, and lead the implementation of process improvements.
- Conduct technical research necessary to resolve complex tax issues or transactions.
Assist senior management with identification and implementation of tax saving strategies
- A minimum of 3-5 years of tax experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Accounting, Finance or related field required.
- Multi-state sales and use tax experience preferred.
- CPA preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate, written and verbal, at all levels of the company and with external providers.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to ask appropriate questions; to be able to explain results, identify critical business issues, and make recommendations.
- Detail oriented and timeline driven with an emphasis on accuracy and results.
- Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple tasks of varying complexity and priority.
84 Lumber Company is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.